28 March 2007

Three days in Venice ....

Day One of Italy:
I arrived on Monday at Venice and had bike out and made up within 60mins (with numerous stares from people!!). My accommodation, a portacom at a campground, was less than 5km from the airport and about 40mins bus from Venice itself. Whilst it would of been nice to have stayed in Venice, taking a bike there (with numerous stairs to climb over the canal) would of been a right pain in the butt!!! Plus, I have a quick escape from here on Thursday morning. The only other bummer about the campground is that at this time of the year, there is limited people staying here.

Day Two of Italy:
Caught the bus to Venice and from about 0930 until about 1800 (6pm) I walked the sites of Venice. The weather was cold and it rained on/off lightly but cleared up in the afternoon. I love Venice though, with all its little side walks and patisseries (spelt wrong!) with wicked looking chocolates!!!

I was very surprised at the amount of teenage kids walking around. There were NO toilet seats!!! I got an Espresso and not to my surprise it was in the smallest cup known to mankind - one needs to ask for a Latte in future!!!! I had an interesting conversation with an Italian man who could not speak English, me who cannot speak Italian - he showed me around the Rialto Market and then kissed both my cheeks before heading off!!!

Day Three of Italy:
One forgets that one is a morning person and when I arrived in Murano, the island of glass blowing/making, at 0915 sharp one was reminded that Venice is not really awake until at least 1000!!!! But it gave me a chance to walk around and have a nosey. I could of spent all day there, the glass pieces were AMAZING but EXPENSIVE, and heavy!!!!
When I figured that my 1315 water bus wasn't coming, plus I had been told that my ticket wasn't valid (which it was as I darn well paid for it), I jumped on the next public water vaporetto and took in the sites of Venice from the water, without buying another ticket. One had a moment of petrification when I heard the man walking around all the people on the water bus asking for their tickets. I just promptly ignored him and he didn't ask me!!!!!!
When I got back to the campground I found an imposter in my room. I have a room mate, someone to talk to.... poor girl!!!!

Overall, Venice has been great. I would love to come back with heaps of money and alot more ability to carry heavy items, actually any items!!!! Apart from one other moment of petrification when one thought she had lost her passport, all things appear to be tickety-boo. I had to keep reminding myself that one didn't need to try every flavour of Gelato icecream or taste every piece of pizza or chocolate/pastry from the pasticceria.
So it's off tomorrow......

No comments: